Upload Your Proposal or Application Here.
Below you'll find active and ongoing Calls to Artists, Requests for Proposals and Applications for various programs at the Durango Arts Center. Select the opportunity below to view guidelines and application requirements.
Once you select a submission opportunity below, you must then create a free Submittable account to get started. Your account will allow you to save/review your work before submitting, view your application status and even find more opportunities at other organizations. For a quick how-to on creating an account, see here: http://help.submittable.com/knowledgebase/articles/225218-how-do-i-submit.
JURIED PLEIN AIR EXHIBITION
August 3rd - September 1st, 2018
This competition is open to all artists: entries are to be plein air, any medium except photography, created within the last two years and not larger than 3 feet x 3 feet. All work submitted must be for sale. Eligible artists must be residents on one of the Four Corners States; Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah.
Best in Show is $350
Second Place is $200
Third Place is $100
Awards will be presented at the reception on August 3rd, 2018. Artists do not have to be present to receive awards. Checks will be mailed after the reception.
You Will Need To Submit One Form For Each Of Your Entries.
Each Submitted Form = One Juried Exhibit Entry
Dates to Remember
5/20/18 - Online Submissions Open
6/24/18 - Online Submissions End at Midnight
7/3/18 - Notifications of Acceptance/Rejection Sent
7/24-27/18 - Shipped Artwork Delivery
7/31/18 - Local Artwork Drop off, 10am-2pm
8/3/18 - Opening Reception, 5-7pm
9/3/18 - Local Artwork Pick Up, 10am-2pm
9/15/18 - Shipped Artwork Return Shipped On/Or Before This Date
-There are two (2) fee amounts based upon membership and status as a student.
-There is a $10.00 fee per entered artwork as a DAC Member or Currently Enrolled Student and a $20.00 fee per entered artwork for Non-Members or Non-Students with a maximum of five (5) artwork entries per artist. (For Example: $20.00 for two (2) artworks and $50.00 for five (5) artworks entered by a Member or Student). Fees are non-refundable.
-Submit only 1 composition image and up to 2 detail images per work. Composition and detail images must be clearly labeled with title of work.
- .jpeg file format only, 1200 pixels on the longest edge. Files should be no larger than 5 MB on a per file basis. Online entries are due by 11:59 p.m. Saturday, June 24th, 2018. Online entries must paid in full at this time to be eligible for selection. Write email@example.com or call (970)259-2606 with questions or to report a problem with submission.
Juror: Bill Cramer
Growing up in southern California, Bill always had an interest in exploring nature and creating art. As an experienced rock climber, he spent much of his youth enjoying the more vertical places of the American west. This gave him a perspective of the world that few others would ever experience. He received a fine arts degree from California State University Long Beach in 1989, and later moved to Prescott, Arizona with his wife Michelle to be closer to the scenery they both enjoyed. It was there that Bill discovered the joys and challenges of landscape painting, his outdoor experiences providing much of the insight and inspiration expressed in his art. Today with his wife and two daughters, Sarah and Megan, Bill divides his time between family, art and outdoor pursuits.
“I truly enjoy the essential act of laying down paint, especially on location. I look for a balance between the actual scene and my reaction to it; not to paint precisely what I see, but to paint what I want the viewer to see. Any landscape worth painting is more than the obvious visual elements. The push of an evening breeze, the feel of sun baked sandstone, the scent of sagebrush or the sound of a raven suddenly overhead are examples of the many unseen elements that inform my work. I’m satisfied when a painting is as rich as the landscape that inspired it. My goals are to keep exploring the southwest’s wild places, search for new ideas and express what I find exciting about landscapes and about painting.”
Selected Shows, Competitions & Awards –
• Zion National Park Plein Air Invitational (2017), Zion NP, UT. Artist’s Choice & Zion Forever Project Poster Award.
• Sedona Plein Air (2017), Sedona, AZ. Best in Show Award.
• Sedona Plein Air (2016), Sedona, AZ. Artist’s Choice Award.
• Phippen Western Art Show (2016), Prescott, AZ. Best in Show, 1st in Oils & Best Body of Work Award.
• American Impressionists 16th Annual Juried Exhibition (2015). SW Art Magazine Award of Excellence.
• Phippen Western Art Show (2015), Prescott, AZ. 1st in Oils.
• Sedona Plein Air (2014), Sedona, AZ. Best in Show, Artist’s Choice & Collector’s Choice Awards.
• Grand Canyon National Park Plein Air Invitational (2014), Grand Canyon NP, AZ. Artist’s Choice Award.
• Zion National Park Plein Air Invitational (2013), Zion NP, UT. Artist’s Choice & Purchase Awards.
• Phippen Western Art Show (2013), Prescott, AZ. 1st in Oils & Best in Show.
• Zion National Park Plein Air Invitational (2012), Zion NP, UT. Two Purchase Awards.
• Grand Canyon Plein Air on the Rim (2012), Grand Canyon NP, AZ. Artist’s Choice Award.
• Telluride Plein Air (2012), Telluride, CO. Best in Show.
• Phippen Western Art Show (2012), Prescott, AZ. 2rd in Oils & Best Body of Work Awards.
• Zion National Park Plein Air Invitational (2011), Zion NP, UT. Award of Merit.
• Grand Canyon Plein Air on the Rim (2011), Grand Canyon NP, AZ. Artist’s Choice Award.
• Phippen Museum Western Art Show (2011), Prescott, AZ. 3rd in Oils.
• Sedona Arts Center Juried Members Show (2011), Sedona, AZ. 1st in Oils & Best in Show.
• American Impressionists Society Juried Exhibition (2010), Nashville, TN. Award of excellence.
• Escalante Plein Air Festival (2010), Escalante, Utah. Artists Choice Award.
• Tempe Festival of the Arts (2010), Tempe, AZ. Featured Artist & Best of Painting.
• Sedona Arts Center 30th Annual Juried Members Exhibit (2010), Sedona, AZ. 3rd in Oils.
Education - 1985-1989 California State University Long Beach, B.A., Fine Art, Drawing & Painting, Magna cum laude.
-All submitting artists must be over 18 years old and reside in the United States.
- Eligible artists must be residents on one of the Four Corners States; Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah.
-To be considered for entry all work must be completed after December 31, 2015.
-PLEASE DO NOT USE ALL CAPS IN OUR ONLINE ENTRY FORM.
-No previously entered material will be considered.
-Artist Statements: Statements are to be limited to 250 words or less. If you would like the juror to see your artist statement with your slides, do not include your name as the jury process is blind. You can upload a statement during the online submission process. The DAC reserves the right to exclude any artist statement. If your work is selected, your artist statement will be included on the wall label in the exhibition. Edits for clarity and grammar will not be made by DAC. Please proofread carefully or seek assistance if needed. We will email accepted artists for a statement including their name. By including your artist statement, you agree to have it included as a wall text in the exhibition and in any public imagery produced as publicity for the show.
-Your work will be insured for the commission price. If work is Not For Sale, you must include value of work for insurance purposes. It will be fully insured by the Durango Arts Center upon arrival at the DAC and through de-installation until it is shipped back to you. Work without a stated value will be insured for $100.00. No work will be insured past 10/15/2018.
-Two-dimensional work cannot exceed 36” in height and 36” in width.
-Images of your submissions must accompany your completed entry form. This process is automated. If you have questions, please call DAC (970)259-2606 or write firstname.lastname@example.org.
-The exhibition will open on August 3rd, 2018 and continue through September 1st, 2018. All accepted work must remain in the Durango Arts Center for the entirety of the exhibition.
-The Durango Arts Center reserves the right to remove any artwork at any time during the exhibition or refuse to display artwork due to unstable/unsafe exhibition or hanging methods.
-To be considered, you are required to agree to the terms of service section on this application, regardless of your potential accepted or declined status in our exhibition. A digitally typed signature will stand for an ink signature.
-The Durango Arts Center maintains the right to reject any work that differs from the corresponding entry form or that fails to maintain the DAC's exhibition standards.
-The Durango Arts Center reserves the right to reproduce images of accepted work in support of its programming in perpetuity.
-You will be notified of your accepted or declined status via email. Please do not contact us.
You are financially responsible for all costs associated with shipping. Shipping insurance for full loss is recommended. No checks, cash, or IOUs will be accepted. You must also prepay return shipping and include the prepaid return label in the box with delivery of the art. Use packing materials that can be easily re-used (No Styrofoam peanuts, etc.). The Durango Arts Center is not responsible for any in-transit damage. Please send your completed return address information, including your commercial carrier account numbers (FedEx or UPS) if you would like to avoid prepaying shipping. See in-person delivery and pick-up information.
-If return postage or packing material is not included, and you are unable to receive your work in person by 10/15/2018, you work becomes property of the Durango Arts Center. After 10/15/2018 your work will be disposed of as it is seen fit.
-Please include a complete label on the back of each accepted artwork including: name, title, dimensions, medium, date, and the city where you work. This is really helpful!
-All work must be ready to install upon delivery (cleats, d-rings, custom hardware, etc.). If a painting is not framed, it must be gallery wrapped (its sides must be painted). Works on paper using magnets, gromets, or pins are also acceptable.
DAC will retain a 40% commission for sales of work by members and a 50% commission for sales of work by non-members during exhibit; the sale price indicated should reflect this commission.
About the Durango Arts Center DAC is a multi-faceted hub for community arts that hosts and promotes contemporary visual and performing arts, arts education, dynamics exhibits, an active Docent program and the annual Durango Autumn Arts Festival. Over the years, DAC has built its reputation as a local arts industry leader and has been working diligently to ensure that the arts continue to thrive in the Four Corners region and beyond.