Upload Your Proposal or Application Here.
Below you'll find active and ongoing Calls to Artists, Requests for Proposals and Applications for various programs at the Durango Arts Center. Select the opportunity below to view guidelines and application requirements.
Once you select a submission opportunity below, you must then create a free Submittable account to get started. Your account will allow you to save/review your work before submitting, view your application status and even find more opportunities at other organizations. For a quick how-to on creating an account, see here: http://help.submittable.com/knowledgebase/articles/225218-how-do-i-submit.
GUIDELINES AND RULES
- Only original plays, never before produced or published, are eligible.
- Each play should require two to four characters, and minimal props and costumes.
- The play, exclusive of title and cast description pages, must be no more than ten pages.
- Authors may submit more than one play (see entry fee below), but each play must include a separate entry fee.
- DO NOT PUT AUTHOR'S NAME, ADDRESS, OR ANY CONTACT INFORMATION ON ANY PAGE OF SCRIPT.
- AUTHOR'S NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE and EMAIL should be on a separate page and be downloaded as a SEPARATE FILE, FILE #1!
- FILE #2 should be the SCRIPT; again, WITHOUT ANY CONTACT INFORMATION.
- The PLAY'S TITLE and PAGE NUMBERS MUST be included on every page of script.
- Page 1 should list the cast of characters and a description of the setting.
- Page 2 should be the first page of the script. The other pages of the play follow.
** If plays submitted are not in the required format, they will not be entered into the contest and the $12 entry fee is forfeited.
THE JUDGING PROCESS
- All plays will be evaluated blindly by a panel of judges. The name and address of the writer will not appear on the scripts received by the judges. (Playwrights are required in "Submission Format" section above to include name and address ONLY on title page, which is removed from script before distributing to judges.)
- 10 - 20 semi-finalists will be selected. Five finalists will be selected from the semi-finalists.
- Only the finalists and semi-finalists will be notified if their plays have been selected.
- Chosen at the Staged Readings in the spring, the Grand Prize Winner will receive an award of $500 and the People's Choice Award will receive an award of $100. Both plays will receive a full production in the 10-Minute Play Festival in the fall.
- AFTER the Staged Readings, the winners and finalists will be posted on the Durango Arts Center website.
- All winning plays, finalists, and semi-finalists agree to permit the Durango Arts Center to produce their plays without compensation if the DAC chooses to do so. Author's retain copyright and full ownership of their plays.
- If a play submitted wins another contest, is produced or is published before the entry deadline, the play will be withdrawn from the contest.
- Plays must be submitted by Thursday, February 28, 2019.
NEED-BASED SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
- Visual Art Youth Classes
- Musical Theatre Youth Classes (DAC YT)
- G.O.A.L. (Girls' Opportunities through Art & Leadership)
- B.A.R.T. (Boys Art)
DEADLINE FOR YOUTH THEATRE SCHOLARSHIP FORMS: February 15, 2019
THERE IS A ROLLING DEADLINE FOR AFTER SCHOOL ART
REGISTER FOR CLASSES HERE:
The Durango Arts Center provides need-based scholarships to students thanks to generous individual donations and support from the Boone Fund, Community Foundation Serving Southwest Colorado, Coca-Cola of Durango-Farmington, Durango Education Foundation, Durango Friends of the Arts, Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, George W. Hopper Foundation and Martin Family Fund.
In assessing scholarship requests, we ask that your child submit either a written paragraph or drawing that describes why they are interested in attending a DAC education program that will be shared with our generous scholarship donors. Honoring confidentiality, child names will be withheld – this information will be shared with donors to further illustrate the impact of their funding.
Upon receipt of your complete application, you will be notified regarding the level of scholarship support DAC can provide to assist with your child’s art class experience.
If you do not wish to fill-out an online scholarship application, you may pick up a copy at the Durango Arts Center in the first floor Box Office or Barbara Conrad Gallery front desk.
The paper application should be submitted along with your child's drawing or writing sample to:
ATTN: Deena Carney (Visual Arts Classes / G.O.A.L.)
ATTN: Emily Simpson Grandt (DAC Youth Theatre Musical Theatre)
802 E 2nd Avenue, Durango, CO 81301
Durango Arts Center Education Team