GUIDELINES AND RULES
- Only original plays, never before produced or published, are eligible.
- Each play should require two to four characters, and minimal props and costumes.
- The play, exclusive of title and cast description pages, must be no more than ten pages.
- Authors may submit more than one play (see entry fee below), but each play must include a separate entry fee.
- DO NOT PUT AUTHOR'S NAME, ADDRESS, OR ANY CONTACT INFORMATION ON ANY PAGE OF SCRIPT.
- AUTHOR'S NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE and EMAIL should be on a separate page and be downloaded as a SEPARATE FILE, FILE #1!
- FILE #2 should be the SCRIPT; again, WITHOUT ANY CONTACT INFORMATION.
- The PLAY'S TITLE and PAGE NUMBERS MUST be included on every page of script.
- Page 1 should list the cast of characters and a description of the setting.
- Page 2 should be the first page of the script. The other pages of the play follow.
** If plays submitted are not in the required format, they will not be entered into the contest and the $12 entry fee is forfeited.
THE JUDGING PROCESS
- All plays will be evaluated blindly by a panel of judges. The name and address of the writer will not appear on the scripts received by the judges. (Playwrights are required in "Submission Format" section above to include name and address ONLY on title page, which is removed from script before distributing to judges.)
- 10 - 20 semi-finalists will be selected. Five finalists will be selected from the semi-finalists.
- Only the finalists and semi-finalists will be notified if their plays have been selected.
- Chosen at the Staged Readings in the spring, the Grand Prize Winner will receive an award of $500 and the People's Choice Award will receive an award of $100. Both plays will receive a full production in the 10-Minute Play Festival in the fall.
- AFTER the Staged Readings, the winners and finalists will be posted on the Durango Arts Center website.
- All winning plays, finalists, and semi-finalists agree to permit the Durango Arts Center to produce their plays without compensation if the DAC chooses to do so. Author's retain copyright and full ownership of their plays.
- If a play submitted wins another contest, is produced or is published before the entry deadline, the play will be withdrawn from the contest.
- Plays must be submitted by Thursday, February 28, 2019.